Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Rain, Everywhere

Tap-water, grimy and dank, maintains the posing flowers like a pretty corpse, on the dead wood of the table-top. Domestic life, under the fizz of electric light. Envious all of the outside: where blankets of rain make sculpture, make symphony, of the dark, London night.

Who can compete with that plash and pulse? Tell me vase, tell me lamp. Tell me hung clothes, usual but damp. Tiny moutains rise and fall every moment on each lake, whilst valleys race from centre to shore. A gust of wind, and they rove back once more. The umbrella of St Paul's has never hosted such a choir; no pottering Priest ever heard such a prayer. No smart banker ever summed your worth, that the city of trees, soaking, always knew. The man in the moon has the best view: a vast sky of aloof cloud-faces, crying cold features, right across our places; without hope or home here, but back down to earth.

Rain, you're ascribed heights and times in the Weather Office. An audit of anorak sales offers another record. As does this. And it is gone now, your gift. But you will return - to eyes, to ears, and to flesh, always uncaught by the written word.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the rythm you wrote that in. Nice, very nice.

Thanks for the link btw, but could you direct it to http://kunstemaecker.com instead? Thanks.

I'm linking you up right away. A blog like this deserves more readers.

7:57 AM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i really conjured penny lane with this.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Wyndham said...

Antonym - thanks kindly for the link!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

Kunst - no problem.

{i} - I will listen to it on youtube when my grumpy anti-music office mate has gone, to see if I can work the hell out why!

wyndham - not at all. Yours is the best blog I've found in a long while.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very different. Nice.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The pacing is perfect for reading out loud.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:50 AM  
Blogger jey-aiy said...

my pictures look better when it's raining. moist, almost damp. but definitely alive.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

Thanks, Naz.

Quite the compliment, Jay. Perhaps I should do a podcast, which is what I believe audio-posts are known as now?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

And it sure does rain over where you are, I here jey-aiy!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

I love the rain - more when I'm coming back from, than going to - You've certainly done it justice.

The damp plays merry Hell with the Broom's bristles, though...

11:47 AM  
Blogger boudica of suburbia said...

"rove".... underused I think.

Wonderful writing there. Really never know exactly what to say without sounding like a pretentious cunt.

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a class B blog?

6:42 AM  
Blogger The Shadow Cabinet said...

Everytime it rains I go running on the heath. Blackheath, that is. I love it. There aren't many better things than torrential rainfall. This proves it.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

I agree, * inexplicable device *. It's better to rush home and watch through a window than, for instance, wade to work in. Especially when (like me) you often take a gamble and leave at home the umbrella.

* Boudica * . . . thanks! It was either 'rove' or 'wave'. A tricky choice, hopefully I got it right.

Trust me, you don't want to know what they had to go through to get their links there, * Kunstemæcker * . . .

Even in winter, * shadow cabinet * ? Seems like it might be a bit cold for that now . . .

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home